Friday 10 April 2020

Eight Sections of Brocade / Baduanjin / 八段锦 / Qigong

Well, it's been a while since my last post so I have just grabbed a moment to post a few tips on staying healthy at the moment. 

The great thing about tai chi and qigong (pronounced chee-goong) is that you can do it anywhere at any time. Baduanjin or 8 Sections of Brocade or 8 Golden Treasures is a qigong exercise comprised of 8 forms. Each one is designed to strengthen a certain part of your body.



There are many versions of Baduanjin.  I first did this particular qigong with a master from Wudang Mountain, Master Zhou Jinbo. Apparently, even if you only do this particular qigong each morning it is reputed to increase longevity. I found this short video by Master Zhong XueChao (Master Bing) from Wudang Dao Cultural Institute on You Tube. It is quite easy to follow and he lists each movement as well as all the benefits. 



The exercises help calm and relax while you breathe deeply and slowly stretch your legs, arms, back, neck, massage internal organs…everything! The gentle movements are a great workout and also energise and circulate qi and blood within your body. So vital to staying happy and healthy.

For anybody new to tai chi, only go as far as you feel comfortable. I really like the Wudang masters who can easily stretch lower, or kick higher than I can. Over time and with more practice however my dream is to become Super Stretchy and definitely more  flexible! But for now I know it's best to be sensible and not overdo it.

I hope you like the video as much as I do. Some people say just watching tai chi is relaxing.

Enjoy and Stay Well everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment